Visit to Verona and Lake Garda
Romeo & Juliet
“Casa Capuleti”, better known as Juliet’s house, dates back to the thirteenth Century.
It is a tower house, for a long time owned by the family from the hat, whose crest is carved on the arch of the Courtyard. The exposed brick façade is decorated with elegant trilobate windows, including the famous balcony from which Juliet would look out to speak to Romeo.
Arranged on several floors and visitable, it offers a probable reconstruction of the typical stately homes of the fourteenth century, enhanced by a wide choice of medieval Ceramics.
Thanks to the skilful work of restoration carried out in 1935 by Antonio Avena, It is now possible to appreciate the refined elegance of the frescoes that embellish the walls in which they stand out, in their austere simplicity, inlaid chests, brick fireplaces, Wooden stairs with balustrades and walkways. Of the original house remains a trace of painting depicting festoons of ermine skins, which the rich used to embellish their dwellings. At the end of the courtyard is the bronze statue of juliet, by the sculptor Nereo costantini, which is visited every year by thousands of tourists from all over the WORLD.
The amphitheatre Arena is the most famous monument in Verona, always a must for visitors who come here from all over the World. Approaching in silence and imagining it crowded with crowds as in the days of the ancient Romans is not difficult, just close your eyes or enter the intoxitant atmosphere that the evenings of opera and show know how to Create.
Certainly the gory fights of the Gladiators were beginning at dawn, and instead of the pieces of entry in bone and ivory, today we use tickets with online booking systems, But the emotion at the sight of the most majestic and most vivid jewel of Verona, after 2000 years is Still the Same.
The third largest amphitheatre in Italy after the Colosseum and the amphitheatre of Capua, has elliptical shape, to allow perfect acoustics from all points and accommodate a large number of Spectators. The shows took place right in the center of the monument, on theHarena (hence the Name) sand used as a cover of the combat zone to absorb the blood of gladiators and Animals.
Today the Arena is inside the walls, but it was once just outside the walled area to help people access the countryside and the surrounding areas, preventing it from entering the City. In 265 a.d., the threat of hordes of barbarians led the Emperor Galieno to defend the city of Verona and so the Arena was walled and incorporated into the City.
Sanctuary of the Madonna della Corona
The sanctuary of the “Madonna della Corona” is undoubtedly one of the most evocative places dedicated to the Virgin. There are those who write that deserves to be visited at least once in your Life. And in truth, as it is overhanging the valley of the Adige, 1.5 km from Spiazzi (VR), is the most hardy of the sanctuaries of italy.
There one venerates a statue crowned of the ‘addolorata‘ [“Madonna of the crown”] which, carved in stone in 1432, would miraculously appear here, on the rocky wall of Monte Baldo, in 1522.
It is nestled in a rocky wall overlooking the Adige Valley and takes its name from the crown of Monti that surrounds it, in the past it was reachable only on foot or with a pulley system.
Around 1530 The sanctuary was built, a small chapel, which immediately became a destination for dedicated Pilgrimages. Many pilgrims prayed to our lady, and many prayers were answered. The pardoned offered in Thanksgiving the painted tablets on which were depicted the dangers escaped or the graces Received. These votos had to be many, but now only a hundred remain.
Castle of Malcesine
A visit to the castle, besides being cultural and relaxing, takes you to the most panoramic points of the whole Lake Garda and from the tower of the castle you will enjoy a complete overview that you will not forget, we are sure.
The fortress of Malcesine would go back to the last centuries of the first millennium B.C. but it is more reliable the news that a castle was built by the lombardi, towards the middle of the first millennium A.D.
The castle was destroyed by the Franks in 590. It was rebuilt by themselves and housed in ‘ 806 the King pipino, arrived in Malcesine to visit the Ss. Benigno and Caro. After the invasions of the ungars, it became part of the feuds Episcopal Veronesi. In 1277 he became the domain of Albert of the Ladder.
Interventions dating back to this period gave rise to the current Denomination: “Castello Scaligero“.
The Republic of Venice incorporated it in 1405. The Empire regained it in 1506. He returned to the Republic from 1516 to 1797. Then he passed on to the French.
In 1798 the French took over the austrians, who carried out substantial consolidation work inside the castle and remained there until 1866.
On August 22, 1902 was declared a national Monument.